Sunday, March 15, 2009

A good day of work

Today we saw the fruit of months-long labor come to bear. We hosted a conference for local leaders in the Christian community, a first for IJM (and my first major Community Relations event). Our Senior Vice President of Education flew in from DC Headquarters to lead the sessions and also provide training for Community Relations staff from all South Asia offices. After weeks of phone calls, check lists, schedule changes and planning the content of the day, the conference was an encouragement.

My logistical responsibilities are complete, but I will continue to pray that the individuals who attended and shared candidly about the struggle to take up the weighty cases of injustice will carry the call to their churches and organizations, large and small. A major goal was addressed during the small group discussions as the leaders from a variety of faith backgrounds brainstormed practical, sustainable methods to effectively wipe out slavery from the community. And then beyond. In order to eradicate the unlawful yet tolerated practice of forced labor, creative collaboration among the community is necessary. More and more, I am convinced not only of the necessity for cooperation and leadership from the political and legal spheres, but for unity among the Body of Christ on earth.


Happy at work. (My first attempt to tie a sari on my own...thank you, Google. And thank you to the women who fixed my pleats!)

Happy after work. (Isn't my bike awesome?)

Bicycyle shop where I bought "Miss India."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your bike. and you, but that's a given.