Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Back to [my] reality

Indonesia was nice. Actually, Indonesia was gorgeous. But it's good to be back.

Though I still haven't exerted any effort to understand Celsius, I can tell you that the mercury is rising here. The days are hot and humid--and the nights are ceasing to cool down. I couldn't help but smile to myself and think, "welcome back to reality," as I drove in a reckless auto last night and saw multiple men relieving themselves on the sidewalk against the wall (have I mentioned this normal factoid before?)...on my way to buy a loaf of French bread for a wine and cheese party with women from a church I've visited several times. My reality is, as I've written before, a bundle of contradictions.

While we were in Indonesia (aka Paradise), we talked a lot about our work and the strange country we're living in. While I loved the clean streets of Singapore and the green, glorious nature of Indonesia, I'm charmed by the little details of this city. The pretty gate hanging on a dirty, nondescript stucco wall. The drum beat and unfamiliar, piercingly loud wind instrument ringing down the street this morning as I left for work--Happy Tamil New Year! Or the non-English speaking but always smiling woman who sells me tiny bananas and flowers for my hair next to the temple beside my office. Most of the customs are still unfamiliar and many mundane scenarios are still uncomfortable, but I am altogether grateful for the opportunity I have been given to live life alongside people who are eager to explain and field my endless questions. I'd never discover these lessons and laughs on a mere vacation--no matter how clean, green or relaxing!
Of course, my days aren't simply spent wandering chaotic streets and musing scattered thoughts. I spent much of today starting to read through another case file for a story I'm writing about a rescue operation at a brick kiln a few years ago. Another amazing story of cruelty and courage. I also spent time photoshop-ing and designing a layout for part of our upcoming newsletter. And set up some meetings and helped coordinate details for a presentation IJM is giving this weekend for a police training. Yep, vacation's over!

No comments: