Thursday, May 7, 2009

Shopping: just go with the flow

This weekend, my friend Priya took me and two other interns shopping, Martine and Kim. We got to experience how the locals shop: en masse. Put yourself in my shoes and watch this clip:

I took my first "share auto" with these gals; we hopped in a [slightly] oversized auto rickshaw with a handful of strangers and rode to T. Nagar, a part of town renown for its massive saree and salwar stores...and crowds.
Stacks of fabric for new salwar sets: top, bottoms and a dupata (or scarf). The men behind the counter pull down whichever set you want to see, then you buy and take to a tailor for the final product.
Shops line both sides of the street. Shoppers line the street.
Shopping in this kind of crowd requires some serious energy. Priya introduced us to sugarcane juice. Not my fave--very bitter and tasted a lot like I imagine a grass and root smoothie might taste. But I'm all for trying new things.
mmm, Samosas. Now here's a street food I like. Some sort of mystery mash with potatoes, lentils, maybe some veggies...all fried up in a poof of pastry-like dough. Martine, Priya, me. What's not to love?


Although I'll stick to sweet lime or strawberry juice, I do appreciate the labor-intensive process for juicing sugarcane. Check it out:


P.S. Where you able to view my video clips?

3 comments:

RZ said...

what's a market without the crowds? :) It's fun to see the flashes of similarity between our cities.

Fun to see video too!

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine you in the midst of this crowd, loving every moment. Wish I was there with you!

joe said...

T - The video was great. Also enjoyed the audio - somewhat garbeled but fun - remember you have audio during next "filming" session - yes we are all hoping for more! The pic's reminded me of walking past the dress-up closet during spirit week. Love you. dad