Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Happy Day

This week I had my favorite kind of work day -- one spent with IJM's "clients," individuals who are former victims of forced labor and are now living free lives. No matter how many cases I review or write about, every time I meet the subjects of these stories I am humbled and inspired. This particular family has a powerful story, before, during and after the salt mine where they were coaxed to come and earn an allegedly good salary, educate their children. One hundred percent of their "salary" was paid to one local shop, where they were forced to buy all food and necessary provisions. The school where they were promised education literally shut down two days after their arrival; the preteen daughter forced to work alongside adults raking and spreading salt. When IJM first met her, her feet were scarred with boils and her hopes were flat. When I spent the day with her, her feet walked around a zoo in the city and jumped rope, spirits soaring.

I hope to share more of their story someday soon. For now, I leave you with a (lighthearted) photo of me and a deer. That's right, here, deer like people, daytime and. I think the only thing more amazing than petting a deer in the two-wheeler parking lot were the confused looks on the family's faces as they wondered at my wonderment.

Apparently, this is normal.
I guess it makes sense that Bambi likes popcorn...
Did you know that peacocks spread their glorious feathers and dance when it is going to rain? As if I needed another reason to love my favorite animal.

1 comment:

Meggie said...

That is a happy day. Love you.