Thursday, January 29, 2009

A full week

Another full week of learning to love this new city. During training week, one of the sessions briefed us on the inevitable stages of Culture Shock. I think it is safe to say I'm right on track, still in the "honeymoon" phase when everything is new and different--meaning exciting and good. This morning I paid a few rupees for a lovely-scented flower for my hair and now I sit at my desk (already quite messy!) scanning my to-do list (already quite long!), distracted by the traffic and pedestrians competing for the street below.

It has been just over a week since I began working here at IJM, and I have already gotten a better understanding of our bonded labour slavery casework--the desperate circumstances which require a victim to take out a "loan" which they will never be able to pay back; the exhaustive and intensive investigations process; the dedicated aftercare and education required to empower newly freed individuals; the persistence and excellence of the legal team bringing the case to trial despite many obstacles and much time.

I hope to find a few quiet mintues (quiet of course being a relative term here) sometime this weekend to reflect on some of the challenging aspects of both the work and the culture I've observed and share more about the wonderful people I'm working with and learning so much from.

This weekend I venture to Bangalore for a co-worker's wedding. After witnessing several now-married friends agonize over guest lists, I laughed out loud when I heard weddings here are different, with thousands attending normal weddings! Literally, after our first conversation, he invited me to the wedding and brought me an invitation the next day. It seems the people are both hospitable and celebratory, wanting as many people to join in their happiness as posible. Plus, I'm excited to wear a sari! More to come...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you. Can't wait to see pictures of the wedding! Give Steve a hug for me!
-Meggie

Mae said...

i keep envisioning Bride and Prejudice!! are you seeing steve-a-loo this weekend?

watching ridiculous superbowl commercials...thinking of you!

Carolyn March said...

Tierney, I love you and miss you!! This sounds SO much fun. I saw both your brothers this weekend at the dirt and the flood concert in Greenville...reminded me of last year when we had that whole balcony to ourselves...mae, I think you were there too. Anyhow..it was so crowded this time and the best part was seeing Joey and Brenden. Made me miss you!! love you!!

Margaret T said...

What fun to follow your adventures! We are praying for you and the work with IJM.
The Thompsons

tierney short said...

These comments are wonderful...thank you and miss all of you too! Isn't the internet great though?!