Sunday, January 25, 2009

Quick weekend update

To get the weekend started off right, BOTH bags arrived safely and completely. My only regret is that there was no tracking device in either; I would love to see where in the world my luggage traveled (I know it was at some point in London then Australia, finally arriving on Singapore airlines)!


Friday night I attended a traveling circus with new friends from the office. I'm not sure what was more of a spectacle--watching the ancient elephants playing "doctor"to one another or FIVE of us piling into an auto rickshaw after the show.


The elephant performed some old-school tricks, like standing on a stool.

For the sake of the trapeze artists, I hope the ropes in the tent were NOT old-school.

New friends.

Saturday morning I ventured out to explore my neighborhood and stumbled upon Cotton Alley, a wonderful street lined with vendors selling textiles and fabulous fabrics. After meeting up with a couple girls to grocery shop, we enjoyed a delicious meal with the rest of the interns. After church on Sunday, one of the American couples who work here drove me and the other "new guy" an hour and a half to "Ideal Beach," a very resort-y spot, perfect for some R&R. We finished off our evening at a dance festival in a nearby town, marveling at the rhythmic dance movements and accompanying musicians.

And you thought motorcycles were dangerous...try an auto-rickshaw!

Hindu temples are everywhere, tucked in between office buildings, apartment complexes and
 restuarants. They are usually fairly small, sometimes not room for more than the statue inside.


There is actually a large Christian population here, about 8%
 (relative to the rest of South Asia)

Cotton Alley.  Get ready to barter.

And for those of you missing my face,
here it is (sort of) searching for a flat.

Whew! What a weekend. As I begin my internship this week, I look forward to sharing more about IJM's unique vision and hard work here in South Asia.

6 comments:

Someday said...

Tierney - What a wonderful surprise to see your smiling face and read another great update! Great to talk to you this morning - still can't believe you've been gone less than a week! Love you, Mom

RZ said...

Love it!!! It looks like you're having an amazing time and seeing so much. YAY

Jeanne said...

Glad to see your "settling in" a bit. It's so weird, you in India and Maggie starting her London experience today. May you both stay safe and blessed

Jeanne

Mrs. P. and family said...

Tierney-Checked in to see how you were doing. Loved the pictures of the circus! Seems you are settling in nicely. Hope your work week has been good. Praying for you!

Dyl said...

I heard the classroom Skype call went really well today! So good to hear. I was really jealous... I wish I could've been there!

And hopefully you'll be getting that Skype call from both of us here shortly. ;) Haha.

tierney short said...

To Dyl: hopefully it was just another way Ms. Wylly is broadening their horizon. And !!! to the double skype call!