Saturday, June 27, 2009

Celebrations

I have been thinking about transitions and transience lately. Just over a year ago, I began the transition from the structure and free time of school to the pressures and deadlines of the real world. Almost six months ago, I began the anticipated yet still jarring transition from the familiar--the smiling faces and beautiful places--of South Carolina to this foreign culture--also full of smiling faces and beautiful places--in South Asia. The work at IJM has taught me even more, as I have watched, wondered and written about the released laborers' transition from slavery to freedom. Reflection on transition inevitably prompts reflection on transience--the temporary yet significant friendships I form, the relative nature of time that shrinks or stretches depending on how much you want it to, or need it to. More deep musings later!

Yesterday was a double celebration for two friends I am blessed to know, even for a short time. IJM legal fellow and Explorer Extraordinaire Martine and her husband will be leaving soon to return to Oz. So Andy threw Martine a surprise Farewell, where friends and coworkers gathered to celebrate her with good food and send her off with scraps of fabric!
Andy cooked up a storm and we got to taste some Aussie dishes: mango-pork risotto, veg. lasagna, fresh salad with cheese and pears, rice and channa, homemade tomato soup, fried fish, lemon meringue pie, fresh fruit including papaya and starfruit, and homemade vanilla bean icecream. Yes, he made all of that by himself. Impressive, and tasty.
Saturday was also my friend and akka Lakshmi Priya's birthday. (Akka means older sister and is used as a term of endearment here) Festivities included dinner, dessert and lots of laughings. Fun fact of the day: Poo means flower in Tamil. I had the pleasure of explaining the irony in this false cognate to Priya!
Here: Chardaie, me, Priya, Kim, Martine.
After a tasty meal of idly and dosai with some of the best sambar I've had (two South Indian dishes: idly is somewhat like a small, thick pancake and dosai more like a huge fried crepe; sambar is the ubiquitous liquid-gravy seasoned with tomatoes, a few spices and the occasional extra vegetables) we taught Priya how to bake a cake. Here we are frosting the cupcakes.
I loved celebrating these two special friends on the same day!

1 comment:

Christopher Hiatt said...

Tierney, I just found your blog and have been completely immersed in it. It is so great to be able to read about your adventures, and I'm excited to have a unique perspective on the work of IJM. Looking forward to more updates!

Chris Hiatt