Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Holiday in God's Own Country

Kerala is proudly called God's Own Country by the Malayalis who live there. The moniker fits. In honor of Magda and Nicolette's August birthdays, the three of us hopped on an overnight train after work last Thursday and headed south to stay with Magda's friend for a fabulous weekend. Below, Fort Cochin. One of the tourist hot spots in Kerala, renown for its authentic Chinese fishing nets and backwaters, among many other beautiful things.
Magda, Nicolette and I helped haul in the fresh catch. Please note the cigarette casually drooping from the shirtless guy in mundu/lungi (essentially a pleatless, wraparound skirt -- traditional dress still worn by many locals in South India).
I don't think we caught anything this big, but it was fun to wander along the harbor and oogle and aahh over the delicious sea critters. Kerala cuisine is my definite favorite of the Indian food I've had. A perfect blend of spices, coconut, mustard seed and lots of love.
Joe, our host with the most, owns Ishka, a lovely art gallery. At the moment, Laxman Pandit is on display -- who happens to be his dad (a famous artist; I wish I had a few lakhs to spare!)
Casually elegant palm trees and so much more greenery line the low, stone-walled banks; narrow canals connect larger pools and bodies of water. Thank you Joe and Issac for a perfect getaway, including this speedboat tour of the backwaters.

3 comments:

SG said...

I am green with envy. Looks gorgeous. I only got to Madurai in Kerala, never to the coast.

Pam said...

hi Tierney -- I'm an old friend of your mom and dad's from college. (your mom and dad are my daughter Sarah's Godparents). I've just been reading your blog -- what a beautiful writer (and thinker) and photographer you are! You're doing amazing work and I'm so grateful that you're documenting it this way. Blessings on your journey. Pam Werntz

Martine said...

You are wild Miss T! I love you and miss you! xoxo