Monday, August 24, 2009

Another day in the life

Today was just a normal day. Rolled off my mattress, a few inches above my pink speckled floor and in the direct path of my window AC unit. Nearly stepped on a tiny lizard as I groggily made my way to the shower. (Bizzy Lizzy was lucky this time -- last week I tried to save her from the soapy dishes she was exploring in our kitchen sink and I plucked her little tail right off. It wriggled. I screamed. Magda jumped. Nicolette laughed. Bizzy Lizzy recovered and apparently found her way to the humid ambience of my bathroom.) Took an auto to work and spilled lots of coffee from my never-tight-enough-lid of the Prego spaghetti sauce jar on my light tan pants. Normally I scoot, but Nic's (and now my!) friend and guest for the weekend, Ryan, occupied the seat with himself, his backpacking gear, laptop and baby sombrero he's traveling around South Asia with, researching the country's response to trafficking as it relates to international pressure.

Work was busy as usual. I finished one filing project and started another. Made a folder on our office database called "2010" and had momentary freak-out that two thousand and a double digit are just around the corner. I also helped finalize design and print our press kit materials for a training IJM is participating in for the Press Bureau tomorrow on child trafficking. Lunch was a late one and combo of leftovers and paneer chili fry from Palimar, eaten while stuffing our quarterly newsletter into envelopes and sticking on labels -- and not sealing them: did you know you pay a whole extra rupee (which is a 20% increase) if you seal a letter? We tuck the flaps.

After a full 12-hour work day, scooted to say our farewells to the Summer Legal Intern. Came home for another yummy dinner prepared by Chef Nicolette and reflected on our strange and finite lives and God's tangible, unfathomable goodness. Sat on the couch (yes! we have furniture!) and devoured choc chip cookies I baked yesterday, eight at a time, in the trusty toaster oven, as I watched Nicolette iron six yards of sari that she'll wear tomorrow. Not for lack of wrinkles, my patience did not extend quite as far and my sari still hangs on the back of the sofa. Maybe the humidity will flatten things out?

Nothing exceptional to report, except to say I'm quite content with life in Chennice.

1 comment:

Martine said...

Hey dear! Great work with the Press training. How did it go?
Ohhh you must send me pics of your newly transformed lounge room! I sooo wish I was there to enjoy it with you. :(
Is it possible for me to get on the mailing list for the newsletters or am I just too far away now?
When do you leave for home? Bet you're excited!! We have our 'hens' weekend this weekend - can't wait!
Love ya,
Tines