Sunday, September 13, 2009

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Sometimes the things I appreciate most are the things I speak about least when I talk to friends and family back home. In my attempt to explain a single day or illustrate a simple story, I forget to mention the crucial details of familiarity. These little things that have grown blessedly familiar to me are worth a mention. A few that I'm grateful for tonight -- in no particular order:

Hand signals. Learning to manage the traffic through the use of decisive hand signals has been one of my favorite parts riding on the back of the Blue Wonder. It makes me feel like I can order the madness, if only for a moment. Extend right palm to turn right, left to do the same. The more casual the cooler. To stop someone from cutting you off, throw out that same hand and fully extend all five fingers. Dirty looks permissible.

Friends passing through. As many cities are, this is a transient place. My own days here are passing quickly. Yes, some of the friends I have made have deep roots and big families who proudly name this quickly changing place their hometown. Others are fellow expatriates, adjusting and laughing and learning and reeling from the cultural discoveries that come from doing very normal things in a strange place. Still others are visitors, here for a long weekend. Nicolette and I have enjoyed the company of one such passer-through for the weekend. Visits like his are sweet because they remind me that things like good coffee, thoughtful conversation, favorite music and intentional relaxation are worth slowing down for.

Kipling Place. That's my flat. Named after a lovely restaurant I've mentioned before, decorated with gauzy white curtains and rich furniture. We do have lovely white curtains, but more than decor we aim to emanate the vibe of oasis. This city is full of character and charm, lots of chaos and pockets of quiet. Kipling Place is quite similar -- home to delicious dinner fetes and dance parties as well as candlelit evenings meant for conversing. Last night we sat out on our refurbished rattan furniture on the terrace, marveling at the still night and dim stars, poking out of clouds set in the heavy, humid sky. We talked a little, listened to some guitar and mostly just sat. It was a favorite.

3 comments:

ShortHHI said...

Yes, I really do check your blog twice a day. Love these moments! xo Mom

Meggie said...

Love it. Love and miss you.

Meggie said...

oh dear, didn't realize I'm logged into Josh's email. This is Meggie.