Monday, November 2, 2009

It's a small world after all

A few months ago, a group from a local womens college came to our office looking for an expatriate woman to speak during their international conference on "the feminine mystique." The recruiters kindly refused to let me decline this offer, latching onto the comment I had off-handedly made about studying various structures of the so-called "feminine mystique" in my Gender Studies of South Asia class. I think I wrote one essay on the topic. The flattering academics even went so far as to woo me with accolades and named me their "youth icon." How could I turn down such an opportunity? So I agreed (and enjoyed) speaking about women who had inspired me by shattering gender expectations and challenging norms. I spoke of women in my country, like Rosa Parks, who had stood up for herself, for women and for men. I spoke of the women I have observed and met in my short time here, a visitor in a very complex place. The women who courageously raise up themselves and their families in freedom, after release from years and years of bonded labor slavery.

I typed up an email to explain this bizarre (but lovely) speaking opportunity to my former professor who actually knows more than a thing or two about the feminine mystique. I began with a brief summary of where I was and what I was doing. About an hour later, I got an email that started off "WOW!" and went on to say that she was in the city RIGHT NOW. She named the hotel and a few hours later my roommate and I were sitting at table sharing a Kingfisher with Dr. Nair. We got to hear all about the fascinating research she was a part of, and I learned that a group of Furmanites would be passing through as part of their study abroad travels around South Asia.

Fast forward to today (Happy All Souls Day, by the way). My colleague, Hephzibah, and I traveled to a college campus on the outskirts off the city, to give an IJM and Bonded Labor presentation to a fabulous group of Furman students. It was somewhat strange to be on the other side of the wooden desks and pens poised over blank notebooks, especially since Dr. Nair was among the attentive crowd. But it was a great presentation, full of questions and answers, which are always better than slides and talking points.

Can you spot the Furman alumn?

P.S. One other small world moment -- last week Dr. Nair sent me an email from Kerala and said she had run into an IJM group, including our President and the Regional Director who said he'd hired me, at a harbor in a very small town. They were en route to visit our office. Sometimes I like it when the world feels small.

No comments: