Saturday, November 21, 2009

Vannakkam, Tambi!

Welcome, Little Brother!
Magda and I were so excited to pick up Joey from the airport with our special sign. Clearly the other passengers were jealous, and the multitude of families waiting for their loved ones were confused.

Day One.

We began Joey's first Chennice day with a drive through the chaos that is also my everyday life.

I wanted to show Joey a slice of life. Having a new pair of eyes in the auto rickshaw next to me reminded me that even my morning commute is quite lively. I am loving the perspective refresher and am noticing things that I have forgotten are foreign.

Things like the political graffiti on the walls, the myriad of bikers on the roads with lines that no one ever pays attention to, the always bright sunshine, the mysteries floating in sordid puddles, the men peeing on the side of the road, the extra green lonely trees springing up every now and then in the midst of a dirty, cracked road.

I love the motion of the city Joey captured in this photo, taken out of our auto rickshaw.

After an exciting-ly normal drive, we reached our destination: Parrys Corner. An area of town criss-crossed with tiny streets and tinier shops selling everything from office paper to Christmas lights to eye glasses to fresh produce to motorcycles to cleaning supplies to carpets to...you get the idea.

Yes, Joey is really here.

Joey's first South Indian Coffee. Equal parts sugar, steaming milk, instant coffee -- and stares.

Taking in the sights. You could stand in one place for awhile.

Another common sight: me standing on the street looking lost, getting directions, staying lost, getting directions again. Even after almost eleven months (wow).

I love this city for what you find in the details. Like crumbling architectural details -- bits of brick, peeling colors and once-regal windows.

Joey loves the fashionably old turquoise bikes.

Stay posted. Our adventures are just beginning.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

All this does is get me sooooo stoked for when both of you come to Colombia.

Unknown said...

Looks like ya'll are having a great time!

Meggie said...

Did you disappear into the wilderness with Joey?! I miss you!!! Can't wait to see you in 9 days!!!